Monday, February 20, 2017

It Never Rains in Southern California...

"Why are we buying you a new computer, Mommy?" "Because Mommy's computer died and went to computer heaven." "Oh okay. So is there a computer Jesus?"...Pretty sure the Best Buy salesman had a good laugh.

Yes, mommy's computer died right before our big trip for rocks and family vacation. But I'm enjoying the new one and hoping to pull the hard drive from the old one to recover all of my files and pictures.

"You're driving all the way to California with the kids?"...That was the same response we got every time we told people about our vacation. Not gonna lie, after a while it did start to make me nervous. I kept thinking...we are crazy to do this. But y'all...the boys were absolutely fantastic. Austin and I were so impressed with how easy it was to travel such a long distance with them. We logged about 3500 miles when it was all said and done. Austin and my mom brought the boys to meet me and dad in Tucson where we had finished getting our rock inventory for the year. During our breakfast meeting, we surprised Ranger with our destination...Disneyland. Needless to say, he was ecstatic and talked all about wanting to meet Moana and Maui when we got there. Mom and I swapped cars and as my parents headed back to Texas, the Davis clan started our journey to Cali. We detoured from interstate 10 and took 8 through the mountains instead. Definitely worth it. We made it to my Aunt's house outside of LA in one day and enjoyed the rest of the weekend celebrating SuperBowl Sunday with my sweet Cali family. Then came Monday...Disneyland day.

Now my mom and dad took my brother and me to Disneyland every time we visited family in California. It is a favorite memory of mine and I was so excited to make memories there with my boys. Monday morning came early and we took off for Anaheim....in the pouring rain.  Y'all...this is Southern California...they even made a song about how it never rains here. But we were determined it wouldn't ruin our day. Parked the car. Stroller set. Snacks set. Water set. Extra clothes set. Kids set. Through security...pouring rain. Onto the tram...soaking wet seats. Into Downtown Disney...still pouring rain and at this point...we knew our umbrella wouldn't do the trick. The tram conductor had so graciously announced that we could purchase ponchos in the gift shop, so off we set to grab some ponchos before heading inside the park. "That will be $37.95!"....I nearly had to pick Austin's jaw up from the floor. We like to call that one a "stupid tax." Onward we journeyed...ponchos on and happy to be reasonably dry. We reached the ticket booth and were just finishing up when I noticed Ash had hopped out of the stroller and toddled in the direction of the gates...which was no big deal until I realized he didn't have his shoes on. Tickets scanned, through the gates, to the best spot we could find to stop and peel the soaking wet socks off Ash's feet, dry him off, and put new socks and his shoes on. First stop...Tomorrowland! We rode the Buzz Lightyear ride first which Ranger loved and Ash just stared in awe. Then we moved on to Space Mountain...now known as Hyperspace Mountain since they added Star Wars to it. Nervous that Ranger wouldn't enjoy rollercoasters...we decided to put him on the fastest one in the park first thing! Worked out well since its completely in the dark. Sneaky, I know...but it totally worked...he LOVED it. Since we were in Tomorrowland, we decided to check out the Star Wars museum...and I quickly realized we'd be spending a lot of time in there...especially since it was the place to meet characters. After taking pictures with Boba Fet and listening to Ranger try to reason whether or not that was the real Boba Fet or not...we stood in line to meet a wookie. I think Austin wins for most excited in that instance. He and Chewbacca had a great wookie conversation and Chewie even complimented Austin's beard. Ash however...was not having it. I still have imprints from where he gripped me during the pictures. Afterwards we happened to stumble upon the very thing every parent wants their child to do someday....so we hurried over and signed our oldest son up to become a Jedi. Jedi training was set for 4:30...so we spent the time in between running all over the park, riding rides...meeting characters. Moana was indeed there and she was so excited to see Ranger's Maui t-shirt. She told him that Maui would be proud to be his friend. Asher was a trooper being drug all over that park...he even took an hour long nap in the stroller while Ranger met some princesses. Ariel especially enjoyed his Knock Knock joke about the interrupting cow. (I don't remember ever getting to meet any princesses at Disney...so I was ridiculously happy there too. There might have been tears...) And yes...it was still raining. After Asher woke up, we took the boys on Its A Small World...to my dismay. I really hate that ride. Y'all...it was Asher's favorite ride. His face lit up, he sang along, and was the happiest kid on that ride. We toured Sleeping Beauty's castle, road Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, flew with Dumbo, met Mickey and Goofy...and decided it was time to head to Jedi training. Hey y'all...it finally stopped raining. Jedi training...Ranger was ecstatic to do this. We didn't let him watch any of the other jedi trainings, because we wanted him to enjoy it fresh...and did he!!! Y'all...Austin was living his dream through Ranger. The famous music played...and down he came in line with twenty other jedi trainees with his robe and his light saber. After some training and a great storyline...cue Darth Vader music. Smoke...music...enter...Darth Vader himself. One by one the kids dueled him with light sabers. Then came Ranger's turn...short, stocky, totally brave and into every bit of it...Ranger. He dueled with Darth Vader bravely...and I think Vader was a little out of breath afterwards. In short...it was awesome. After his training was complete and Vader had been defeated, we headed to the Star Wars gift shop where Ranger purchased his own light saber...a red one...because he wanted to be Darth Vader for Halloween. Seems the dark side may have won during training after all! We rode a few more rides, ate dinner, and watched the Light Parade at the end of the day. Ash passed out right before the parade reached us and Ranger begged Austin to hold him at the end. As soon as he picked him up, Ranger completely passed out on his shoulder. Well done, Disney...well done. I salute you. Memories were made...incredible. Totally worth it.

You'd think after that kind of a day, we'd rest and recover. Not the Davis family...we got up with full intentions of going to Legoland Tuesday morning. Unfortunately, it was closed! So my Aunt told us to check out Knotts Berry Farm! To our delight, (especially Ranger's) my cousin came with us! We headed out...in the pouring rain....in southern California...to another theme park. But, as we pulled into the park, the rain lifted and we walked straight into Knotts Berry Farm to be greeted by Charlie Brown and Snoopy! Y'all....there was nobody there. We had the run of the park. Ranger rode his first really big roller coaster...and loved it...of course! Asher rode a ton of rides suited perfectly for his age! He was one happy toddler! My cousin, Casey was so awesome to ride so many of the rides with Ranger. They had a blast! The day was spectacular and full of firsts for the boys!

My Aunt Carolyn was such a gracious hostess while we stayed in Cali. It was the first time she ever got to meet the boys and they absolutely loved her. We enjoyed a superbowl party, the parks, Laguna beach, fun dinners, great conversation and awesome family time. Ranger says he can't wait to see Aunt Carolyn again! I have to agree.

After hugs and goodbyes, we left behind rainy California and headed toward Austin's must see spot....the Hoover Dam. We very much enjoyed stretching our legs outside of the car by walking across the nation's tallest bridge to overlook such a cool man-made marvel. Then we piled back into the car and debated whether or not to stop by the Grand Canyon as our next destination. Ultimately, we decided to skip it this trip and spend the night next to the Petrified Forest. So the next morning, we spent in the Petrified Forest. Ranger filled out the booklet and at the end of the journey became their first Junior Ranger Ranger. Its okay to giggle...I did. The park ends in the Painted Desert...which Austin had never experienced before. It was incredible. Ash was sleeping, so I took Ranger up to a lookout and showed him the desert. He knew what it was called so I decided to ask him if he thought God has painted it with a big paint brush. He giggled and replied, "No, mom...he crafted it carefully with his hands, because He's the Creator!" Y'all...there were tears again. So insightful for a five year old.

By this time our journey was coming to a close, but the map took us through sweet Midland. We stopped there to have breakfast with one of my dearest friends and to show Ranger where mommy and daddy grew up. We also stopped by the church we grew up in and got married in. That was a sweet moment. I love that church and I love the people who were in my life there. I will never forget them and I will always be grateful for their friendships, guidance, and love. We decided to surprise Austin's mom in Brownwood on the way home as well. It was a short, but sweet stop to have lunch with Grammie! From there we finished out our journey to Houston with  a quick stop in College Station to eat at Rosas, of course. All in all...it was a beautiful vacation filled with so much love and laughter. I'm so grateful we took it...even though it was a last minute decision...(we decided to do that in mid-January).

Through these experiences, I am constantly reminded of God's love and His ultimate plan. I'm grateful for a husband who not only agrees to last minute vacation plans, but who enjoys them and relishes the time with his boys. He was the ultimate dad on this trip to the boys and I very much enjoyed watching him interact with them. He was a planner, a packer, an organizer, a protector, a traveling buddy, and a fantastic husband on this trip. Thanks Austin. I love making memories with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment