Boy our world is changing constantly. Shoes...jackets...socks...batman...empty sippy cups with milk still dripping from the top...diaper bag...backpacks...blankets...cracker crumbs...y'all, that's just the stuff in the car. Sometimes this house looks like a hurricane hit it...in less than two minutes from the moment we've walked in the door. I'm constantly stepping on legos, action figures, and balls. Who knew small rubber bouncy balls could be so dangerous to unsuspecting adults? I have this wall decor that my mom gave me when we first moved into our house...it says, "Good moms have sticky floors, dirty ovens, and happy kids." Totally chuckled when I first saw it and thought, "Cute!". Now I literally run to it and read it out loud several times to regain my sanity.
Beyond the cluttered chaos lies the urge to constantly clean. Everywhere I go, there are blogs, billboards, wall decor, and moms all over the world telling me how gorgeous my house could be and how picturesque my children could look in the kitchen stirring the dough for those cookies we could be baking together. Then there is the total opposite...the moms who embrace the chaos, throw flour at their children during their baking days and invite anyone over despite the cracker crumbs and displaced toys. Which mom should I be? Should I float through the house singing the mom parody of "Let it Go" or should I bend over backwards to be the "ultimate" mom in the spotless home? (You're starting to wonder why I'm talking about me when this is the blog of the world according to Ranger? Don't worry...I'm getting there.) So during my fight to be the best of both worlds one day...Ranger gathered his wisdom and spoke truth..."Mommy, you're the best mommy in the whole wide world. Jesus made you just for me and I love you." Heart swelling, tears gathering..."And Mommy, Asher just colored on the wall."
"Belle! Belle! Goooo girl!" That's what Asher says to our cat. Yes, you read that right. We did indeed add a feline to the family. I grew up with two outdoor cats and very much enjoyed them. Austin grew up with indoor cats and didn't enjoy them as much...and pretty much said no to cats...until this past fall. But Ranger has always been a fan of cats and I was open to the idea of having an indoor cat. Totally fine with it as long as it doesn't get on the tables, counters, pillows, or anything I might use to cook food or put my mouth near. Because you can totally train a cat... I swear to you, Austin still laughs at me from across the room when I'm shooing this cat off of one of the counter tops. She has definitely brought change to the house, but despite a good majority of our family laughing at us adopting her, we've very much enjoyed her and she has been great for the boys. Ranger and Asher both adore her and she's extremely tolerant with them and very entertaining. Thanks to the Wilson family for giving her to us.
Ash is growing like a weed. Potty training at 18 months...his choice, not mine. Strengthening his coloring skills...on my walls...also his choice, not mine. Asher enjoys cuddles, wrestling, and hot dogs. He really really enjoys hot dogs. I could give him a piece of asparagus and call it a hot dog and he'd probably scarf it down. He has a good list of words he can say and is very vocal. He's my talking baby when he wakes up. You can here him talking to himself in his crib for a good half hour before he starts calling for you. I'm amazed at his imitation skills...especially shrill noises he can imitate from his brother. Over all...Asher is a spark waiting to light a fire in this world.
Ranger. 5 years old. Incredibly talkative. I'd love to have a word counter to see if he breaks any world records in a single day. His newest obsession...football. He's our own little sportscaster. He can sit through an entire football game no matter who is playing and enjoy it...and his commentary is hilarious. He has decided that his favorite team is the Texans and that he will grow up to play for them someday. Mommy has accepted this and informed him that she will attend every game...in her Dallas Cowboys jersey. Ranger is about to begin his last semester in pre-k! I can definitely believe he's going to be in kindergarten next year...he reads words very well, has fantastic math and reasoning skills, and can get along with pretty much anyone in any situation. I can just imagine God fashioning this kid in the womb...grinning...and saying, "Little one, you're going to be a bright light."
2016 was a blast! We had a lot of adventures with friends, family, animals, and ER trips. But God is sovereign and we truly enjoyed this past year. We have welcomed 2017 with smiles on our faces, coffee in our mugs, and the Bible as guide. We hope you'll do the same and know that Jesus is all you need this year.
No comments:
Post a Comment