Oh boy oh boy...that's right...two! Two of them! How in the world does this work? What am I going to do? Is that muffled laugh I hear coming from heaven? There's no going back now...and I am totally okay with that...I think.
Oh my stars, we have two little boys in this frazzled household now! Asher William Davis made his grand entrance on June 3 at 7:44 p.m. After a long day of waiting for a hospital call for our induction time, I paid a visit to the doctor with Ranger and my mom in tow. Seeing as I was dilated to a 7 1/2 but still no contractions...she wouldn't let me leave. So I was admitted, called Austin to tell him he'd better book it to the hospital, and enjoyed some time with Ranger and my mom while we waited. Austin made it in plenty of time and the nurses decided to get me ready with an IV. She was quick to mention that Ranger probably shouldn't watch...she just had to peak his curiosity. My child, with that sweet curious spirit of his, refused her kind offer and instead watched them stick that needle in my arm and promptly told us that he wanted to be a doctor someday. He is fearless. And far too curious for his own good. And no, he was not in the delivery room when Asher was born. But, about three hours later, he was back to meet his brother. From the moment he saw him, Ranger loved him. In fact, he was pretty upset that he couldn't hold him until the next day. It was so sweet to watch Ranger love on Asher. He told every nurse he saw that he was a big brother and his little brother was Asher. I'm so grateful for my mom who hauled Ranger back and forth to the hospital and her house. She endured the craziness of bringing the 3 year old to the hospital and keeping him occupied. She deserves a medal. No...really...she does.
And then...we came home. And the terrible threes ensued. With a vengeance. Ranger took every frustration out on absolutely no one but me. I got no voluntary hugs, kisses, or I love yous. I did get tantrums, anger, and an occasional, "I don't like you, Mommy." I'm sure a lot of moms experience this, but when its happening to you, it feels like absolutely no one else understands. Especially when I could sit back and watch my precious firstborn be fine and sweet with everyone else around me and then turn on that vicious attitude at me. But, to be honest...we were grateful it wasn't directed at little brother. After a few weeks of this bitter feud...did you know a 3 year old can make a grown woman cry?...we have settled into our family of four routine and Ranger is back to his old self. There are rare tantrums and lots of hugs and kisses now. Mommy and firstborn are doing fine.
There are many interesting questions and statements that come from a toddler after becoming a big brother...including, "Mommy, why can't Asher eat my gummies?"..."Mommy, Asher doesn't want any more Momma's milk...he spit it out because he doesn't like it. He needs chocolate milk."..."Mommy, when I grow up like you someday, I'm going to feed my baby Momma's milk too!" (Proceeds to lift up his shirt...)..."Mommy, Asher poops too much."..."Mommy, why does Asher always toot?" Its a never-ending stream of little kid knowledge that flows from his sweet little brain.
We are adjusting well to life as a family of four. We have had incredible support from our family, friends, and church family as well! We are grateful for the diapers, wipes, and food provided. In fact, the 500 diapers that showed up on my doorstep from my sweet college roommate were well used. God knew our need and provided in full.
We are looking forward to Asher's personality...it is finally shining through with a few rare smiles and coos. He's a cuddler and a kicker. He has already made two zoo trips, joined a church, enjoyed a meal at Fogo de Chao, visited his brother every day at VBS, survived his first stomach bug (that we could have done without), and went to his first professional baseball game (Rangers v Astros). And he's not even two months old yet. Some people might say we do too much...he's too young. I say...we are continuing on with our lives and enjoying taking him with us. God has blessed us with a healthy baby and we are grateful we can enjoy these things with him and Ranger. Besides, you try sitting at home with a newborn and a bouncing 3 year old socialite who can't really play outside because its ridiculously hot and see how long you last. It has been blast bringing him along since he is a very tolerant baby who adapts well to his surroundings.
Speaking of first professional baseball game...it was Ranger's first Texas Ranger's game! HE LOVED IT! He has not stopped talking about it. It was a sold out game...thousands of people...awesome. He sang the Star Spangled banner with the singer, he participated in the wave EVERY time they tried it, he loved singing all the typical baseball theme music songs, and he is a big fan of peanuts. All-American boy. And what made it even better?...the Rangers won. Thanks, Grumpy and Granny Sue...for taking us to the game and enjoying my boys in the midst of the crowded game. And thanks Grumpy, for filling in for Austin with the kiss on my cheek when they put us on the Kiss Cam.
No comments:
Post a Comment