Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Hulk Smash Mommy's Sleep...

It feels like forever since my last post. Austin, Ranger, and I have been incredibly busy these past few months...moving into our first home, preparing for Asher, and enjoying Austin's new job. Our house has become more of a jungle gym and echo canyon for Ranger. The bigger he gets...the louder he gets. For instance, this morning...he came downstairs to wake me up. I told him to go play for a few minutes while I dragged my 9 months pregnant body slowly out of bed. Took me longer than expected since I fell back asleep...woke up to Hulk Smash fists pounding on my bed. "Hulk smash Mommy's sleep! Hulk smash daddy's pillow! Hulk smash Rusty!"...at the top of his lungs...with yelling involved. Poor Asher is never going to be able to sleep in this house. Ever.

The Avengers are Ranger's newest obsession. He is all about super heroes...especially Captain America who is his favorite (thankfully its not Ironman). Mommy isn't a fan of Ironman. He spent an entire day in his Cap costume last week. The Cracker Barrel customers and employees were very entertained. Thankfully I didn't let him bring the shield into the restaurant with him or I'm sure dishes would have been broken. Now, don't judge us too quickly...we haven't allowed him to watch the Avengers movies. Netflix has a great toddler-cartoon for the Avengers which he loves and we have let him watch one of the Captain America movies with us. He's all about the action scenes and bored during every other part. I love that he is all boy now especially with understanding good versus evil. When Austin comes home from work now, Ranger's favorite thing is to beg daddy to play Avengers with him. If only I could paint an accurate picture of Austin and Ranger running through the house switching from pretending to be the Hulk to Iron Man...from Hawkeye to Captain America. It is classic fun and Ranger has a blast! My biggest fear/challenge in the midst of today's super hero obsession is making sure that Ranger understands they are pretend and that Jesus is the most important super hero in his life...and He's real! I know he's listening to me and I'm pretty sure he understands...because when fire trucks, police officers, or ambulances roll by...he immediately wants to pray that Jesus will protect them! So thank you Avengers, for the fun you provide...but we take heart in the biggest hero of all...Jesus Christ!

Ranger has been very helpful to me in preparing for Asher. He has tested out all of his toys, practiced rocking his bassinet, played with the diapers, and hidden under his clean blankets. He's also informed me that Asher is a big boy in Mommy's tummy...which makes Mommy feel so not fat at all. Asher is a big boy though...I'm feeling like I might topple forward if I stand still for too long. He's moving like crazy and loves to hear Ranger and Daddy talk to him. This is going to be quite the adventure!

What 3 year old really enjoys addition and subtraction? Coming from the mother who absolutely loathes math....mine does. Go figure. In fact, he'd rather do math than spell, read, or write. He uses his abacus to add and subtract in the teens. He uses his fingers to do smaller problems. Ranger can count to 300 now...probably more, but he gets bored after a while. He can also count to 100 by 5s and 10s. Thank you, Granny Sue. I was interested to see how Ranger would do on his own with a worksheet of sorts for addition...so I put together an easy addition worksheet, sat him down at the table and told him it was his first homework sheet, but I couldn't help him at all. He was ecstatic! He finished ten problems in 2 minutes. All of them were correct. Shocked and slightly scared, I decided to try again the next day with a whole new set of problems....same thing. So we have officially embraced addition and subtraction and he's pretty much ready to move on to harder problems. Everyone who witnesses it gets excited and praises him...I however, get this dreadful sinking feeling of "How am I going to explain this to his pre-school teachers in September?" I think I may just drop him off and let them figure it out for themselves...

We have been blessed to find some awesome friends here in Houston and Ranger has a great time with them. Abby is his favorite friend here and he asks to play with her every day. Today, he was playing with sidewalk chalk and asked if we could spell words. What was the first word he wanted to spell?..."Abby." My little socialite is adapting to Houston just fine it seems even though we miss our Austinite friends.

Thank you for your prayers, encouragement, and support these past few months. They have been full of surprises and hardships, but have also been abundant in blessings. We attribute that to our incredible Savior and know that He has a beautiful plan laid out. I'm thinking that my next post will probably include the beginning adventures of Asher as well. Please be in prayer for us as he decides when to make his appearance. It will be soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment