Wednesday, February 11, 2015

"And That's How the Baby is Born!"

We paid a visit to our closest Chick-Fil-A for lunch today. As I was getting Ranger's food ready, a lady across from us called out for the mother of the child in the striped shirt. Guess what Ranger was wearing. So I walked toward the playscape door as he was coming out...lip quivering. The good Samaritan woman told me that a little girl had pushed Ranger down with her hand in his face. We brought Ranger to the table and asked him what happened. He had been playing with a spinning toy and the little girl didn't like it, so she pushed him down. Quivers and tears didn't last long when he saw the food was ready. He ate about half his meal and then asked if he could go play again. I told him to be kind to the other kids even when they make bad choices. He said, "Okay Mommy. I be kind...like my memory verse says, 'Be kind to one another.'" Awesome. After weeks of tough days, tears, time-outs, and reading up on different discipline techniques...that was quite a light in a dark tunnel. Parents...there is hope. Thankfully, God gave us the ultimate "How To" book.

Ranger has done well with the move. He still misses his friends and our church home in Austin, but he is adjusting well. He's especially enjoyed visiting different churches with us. That kid confidently walks right into any new Sunday School classroom and comes out happy as can be with a new craft and a new Bible story that he has learned. I am so grateful for the volunteers/workers in church children's departments. I hope they know what an incredible impact they have on my child as well as others.

The new house has been a challenge and a blessing for us. The space inside and outside has probably been Ranger's favorite part about having our own home. He has his own room, a playroom, a back yard, and a huge driveway to take full advantage of. Unfortunately, the staircase has been a little bit of an issue. It is a tiled staircase that is quite steep. Ranger hasn't fallen on it yet, but we installed a gate at the top to help remind him to slow down...especially in the mornings when he wakes up to come to our room. I've now had five not-so-fun dreams about that staircase so here's hoping we can get some carpet on those stairs sooner rather than later. He's doing well sleeping in his room...he comes down in the mornings after Austin leaves...gets right up next to my ear, and says, "Mommy, cuddle me?" Of course, his idea of cuddling is to tell me Knock Knock jokes and toss and turn until I concede to get up and make breakfast.

Before we had decided on a name for our newest baby boy, we asked Ranger what he would like us to name his baby brother. He came up with a variety, but settled on Jake...from Jake and the Neverland Pirates. When we decided on a name, we started using it more often in front of Ranger. I was talking to him about the baby when strapping him into the car one day and Ranger said, "Wait! I thought his name was Jake?!"...He was totally serious. It was a good laugh but we also had a talk about why we had picked out the new name and now he seems okay with it. He is very excited about his baby brother...he's even decided he knows how his brother will be born. It seems like the natural process has changed a bit. Apparently the baby is in mommy's tummy...then it goes up up up and winds up coming out of mommy's mouth..."and that's how the baby is born!" Interesting concept, but no thanks.

We are looking forward to our newest addition. He is kicking away and healthy as can be. We are grateful and excited. Ranger says he will teach him songs and read him books. He wants to tell him about Jonah and the big fish. I wish this kid knew how much he is loved already.

No comments:

Post a Comment