Thursday, October 2, 2014

The Runaway Balloon

Ranger experienced real toddler loss this afternoon...he was playing on the back porch with chalk, or so I thought. Life was good until I heard, "Oh no, Mommy! My balloon is running away!" I stepped out the door to see his red balloon floating three stories down and across the lawn of the apartments. You have never seen a face with such emotion than the face of my toddler who watched his prize balloon float to its death. So we grabbed our shoes, and the dog...(why waste a trip down three flights of stairs)...and we hurried to the rescue of the red balloon. The entire trip down Ranger repeated, "Oh no! Oh no! Oh no!" All mommy could think was, "This is what my life has come to...how can I turn this into a life lesson when we find the shredded pieces of rubber?" Oh but fate had a different plan for the red balloon...somehow it survived the trees and bushes and landed safely and completely intact in a pile of sharp rocks. It was like Christmas morning for Ranger. And so ended adventure #4968 in the world according to Ranger.

I can't believe Ranger is nearly three. Everyone tells you that the time flies and I've always believed them. I'm just finding it hard to fly along too. Sometimes I feel like Ranger just jumps ahead so quickly at things that I should jump and front and tell him to slow down! Counting has made a comeback with him. He is all about numbers and somehow learned to count from 1-50 on his own. He did it for the first time in the car with me and my mom the other day. After we picked our jaws up off the floor, we finished counting to 100 with him. What? As Ranger would say with the cutest chuckle imaginable..."You are k-idding me!" School is going well. Ranger can officially read two of his books! Now that he has gotten writing all of his letters...we are working on writing them in specific sizes. He says, "Top to bottom, top to bottom, top to bottom." And he never gets the letters inside the lines. And its great. :) He gets a ton of stickers anyway!

So Ranger's nap time has been ideal for me to rush like a mad woman through the apartment cleaning or getting some work done that has sat too long. But today, I decided to rest. I turned on Fireproof and almost made it to the end when I heard Ranger tapping at his door. I brought him out and cuddled with him on the couch. I knew he was watching the movie and he confirmed it at the end when Kirk Cameron kisses his wife. Ranger said, "Hey! Its like you and daddy!" Observant little stinker. I'm telling you, this kid is ridiculously observant. He even has figured out how to use his knowledge to make a joke. For example...a few weekends ago, we were all three sitting on the couch. Ranger had just woken up from his nap. (Did I mention that he still naps?...AWESOME.) Ranger was giving me kisses and telling me that he loves me over and over. I whispered in his ear and told him to give daddy kisses. So he turns to Austin, smiles that adorable, mischievous smile, and says, "Daddy?...I love mommy." It. Was. Priceless.

Football season is in full swing for the Davis household. Ranger adores playing football outside with Austin. His favorite part is tackling. In fact...I think he would be fine without the football itself. He'd rather play tag with his daddy than anything else. He loves to watch football with us on Sunday afternoons and cheers for the Cowboys no matter who is playing. He has mastered his Hook Em' with both hands and has a nice response for those who would like to say, "Gig em" to him. We can't afford to take him to the UT football games, which he has asked to go to several times, but we did take him to a volleyball game a few weekends ago! It was an adventure...rainy day, Ranger slipped and fell right in front of the steps to the Gregory gym...face first...got himself some free cookies and a lot of "Aws" from bystanders. And wouldn't you know it?...the Davis family made it on the big screen...twice! UT shirts, Hook ems, and our toddler with the bruised forehead. Epic Davis family adventure.

Last, but not least. A sweet story to add to your night. I've taken to praying out loud, thanks to the encouragement of a fantastic speaker at our church. I was out on the porch a few days ago...praying. I was really wanting an answer from God and I guess it was coming out in my voice. Ranger walked out and asked, "Mommy? Who you talkin' to?" So I explained to him that I was talking to God. He said, "You sad, Mommy?" I told him that I was fine. He replied, "Okay, I go back inside. You stay out here and pray to God. He make you feel better." Boom. Thanks for that, God. That was a precious way to tell me He was listening. So...if you're feeling blue and you don't know what to do, there is nothing like a little kid to spread a little truth. "Truly I tell you, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it." Mark 10:15

No comments:

Post a Comment