Saturday, August 30, 2014

Pre-School, Chihuahua-toddler Bonding, and Hulk Smash.

Well, we are officially back to the grind! Austin is back at UT working and studying. Ranger and I have been busy getting the apartment back in shape...and he started pre-school this past Monday. But before we get into that....we had to commemorate our back to school with a fun trip down to UT last Saturday! We took Ranger through part of the campus in the blistering heat with stops at the Co-Op and the Harry Ransom Center. We wanted to show Ranger the Gutenberg Bible they have on display there. He was very impressed because it was "SO BIG, Mommy!" We took some fun pictures in front of the tower as well. Ranger may be young, but I know Austin enjoyed sharing his favorite place (UT) with him. Our time here has been such an incredible experience and we are proud to raise our Little Longhorn here. We also took him to see the Graffiti Park in Austin....it was very Austin (the city...not my husband). We looked, we smiled, we left. Ranger said, "Mommy, I want to paint!" Our day concluded at Home Slice...because that's the place every true Austinite does...wait 1-3 hours in the dreadful heat for incredible pizza and want to go back again the next day. Thankfully our wait was only 30 minutes before we were seated and Ranger was able to make pizzas for mommy and daddy with his doughboy (ball of pizza dough).

So...preschool. How did the first week go, you ask? See, I decided due to our Bible Study schedule that we would do school Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. Ranger thinks school should be all hours of the day every day. I had no idea I would have to convince my toddler that we can't do school all day. Needless to say, Ranger loved it. Monday we worked on writing our letters and spelling flashcards. We also worked on our first reading book!! Tuesday we wrote our numbers and worked on counting skills. He really enjoyed counting out those teddy grahams. Reading book was a success as well. Wednesday was shape day...we worked on drawing all of his favorite shapes. No shape day is complete without building a castle with the shape blocks either. Afterwards...he read the reading book to me all on his own. LOVE. His spelling his fantastic...and a little out of control. We took a trip to Sea World on Thursday and he was having me spell things. He said, "Mommy, how you spell...grass...car...Ranger...cloud...dog...etc...(and here it comes, out of the blue)...How you spell Cracker Barrel?" What. Just. Happened.?

During Ranger's nap yesterday, I put on The Avengers for background noise while I cleaned. Ranger woke up during the ending disaster scene. Mind you, we don't normally watch these movies with him around. He happened to glance at the tv when Captain America ran by. He exclaimed, "Captain America, Mommy! That's him!" So I walked over and sat on the couch with him and allowed him to watch...he asked me why everyone was fighting so we had a good talk about good vs. bad. And then the Hulk showed up. "Mommy! HULK SMASH!....why is he so mad? Its not good to be mad. Is he bad?" *Sigh*...such a complex question from my two year old. But it sure does lead to a good Bible story about Jesus in the temple. Hey hey, Mom! All those years of Bible class worked! You would have been proud!

If you've never experienced the bond between toddler boy and a chihuahua...you need to spend some time at our place. My mom's dog is visiting with us for a few days to the delight of my son. Apparently since Archie is smaller than Ranger....that makes it totally fine to pick him up, stack legos on him, and try to catch him underneath the laundry basket. My son's original sin nature shines through when he steals Archie's toys and "locks" them underneath the laundry basket. Archie paws hopelessly at the basket while Ranger literally sits back and releases a jolly/evil laugh. But then the sweetness of their friendship overpowers the torture my son unleashes on the chihuahua...especially when they are snuggled up next to each other on the couch watching Super Why. Where is Rusty all this time, you ask? Enjoying the show from a safe distance...smiling...thinking, "Vacation is such a pleasure. Visit whenever you'd like, Archie."

Are you ready for some football?? The Davis house is. We have been enjoying the NFL pre-season games and are ready for college football as well. Austin is currently at the first UT game of the season. Loving it I'm sure! I came home Thursday night from a Ladies' night to my bouncing boy. I asked him why he was still awake..."Because I'm watching the football game with daddy! I love watching the football game with daddy! Do you want to watch the football game with me and daddy?!" *Sniff*...Daddy is slowly becoming his main focus. Everything he wants to do with Daddy. Ranger even tells me most days..."I go to work with daddy and then I come home to kiss you, mommy." Thanks kid...be still my heart.

I was talking to a friend of mine tonight about seeing God and understanding His nature and why He does what He does. I told her, "I have never been closer to God than when my son was born." And I have countlessly seen God work in us and others and Ranger throughout his childhood. I see a God who creates and loves his creation. He knitted us in the womb...knows us, loves us, cherishes us. I think sometimes we forget this in the trials. Why would God let such horrible things happen to us...to others? I think we forget that God grieves for his children. Sin penetrates, lies, and destroys. It tries its best to turn us against the Creator and blame Him instead. When it is truly sin that is to blame. I love that my Creator gives me the choice to follow him or not. Nobody wants to be forced into worship. That's not true love. Jesus Christ wants our true love. Our heart. The choice is ours. I think sometimes Ranger sees this clearer than I do. Oh the faith of a child. May we always keep at least a little of it in our hearts as we grow.

Ranger also memorized his first verse this week. Proverbs 3:5..."Trust in the Lord with all your heart." So simple. So life-changing.

No comments:

Post a Comment