Sunday, July 6, 2014

Endless Star-Spangled Banner...

My word! I didn't realize it had been so long since my last post. So much has happened these past weeks of summer! First and foremost...Mommy finished out the school year strong and officially quit the job...Daddy started his last internship before graduation...and Ranger learned how to jump. Yes yes, I know that's what you've all been waiting anxiously for. Goodness knows Austin and I have. Ranger is a master jumper and loves to jump on and off curbs, over lines, and just about anywhere. But his favorite place...of course...the bed. And you know? As the mom, I should probably scold him for jumping on his bed and warn him that he could fall and get hurt. But honestly, I'm just happy he's enjoying jumping. And seeing as his bed is a mattress on the floor at Granny Sue's for the summer...he'll be fine.

It would take me all night to find the words to describe what a wonderful summer we've had so far. We are absolutely blessed to have such incredible family and friends. It has definitely made the summer away from Daddy much more bearable. Austin has been able to travel to see us a lot more than we thought he could, so that has helped a lot too!

We started off the summer with Vacation Bible School at Granny Sue's church. Agency D3 taught Christian apologetics to all of the kids! Mom and I rocked pre-school recreation while Ranger hung out with the Deputies' class. He had a blast and really enjoyed the music portion of VBS. He's all about signing with his hands and singing what words he can...which is most of the songs, believe it or not. I was signing him in one day during VBS and he happened to be wearing his UT hat. His teacher complimented him on the hat and asked him if he was a Longhorn. He grinned from ear to ear and proudly displayed his Hook em' Horns sign with both hands. Daddy would have been so proud.

Singing has to be the highlight of the summer. This kid is obsessed with music! He has the entire Frozen soundtrack memorized and we introduced him to Veggie Tales music the week of VBS. (He never seemed interested in Veggie Tales before then.) But his favorite, by far, is The Star-Spangled Banner. Every...and I mean every time he sees an American flag, Ranger bursts out in song. It was adorable the first few times....now we try to distract him when there are flags around. We gave up the closer it got to July 4th.

So we were very excited to spend this past week up in Plano with Daddy! He has been staying with our friends, Melissa and Francis' parents! They were up there for the week to celebrate July 4th as well. It was an absolute blast! Every morning, Ranger woke up and said, "Mommy, I need William. We need to play." Melissa and I took the Ranger, William, and Baby Robert to LEGOLAND and the Aquarium on Wednesday. They had so much fun on the rides and building with legos. Pretty sure Ranger loved the aquarium most. The shark obsession continues. We also stopped at the Disney store where the boys acquired some super hero training as part of the Disney store summer series. Ranger and I visited Austin at work on Thursday to see his office! He is loving his internship and it was fun to spend some time with him there! 4th of July came with loads of fun! We started the morning off watching the neighborhood parade! Ranger loved the fire trucks and police cars...and off course...all the American flags. He serenaded us the entire time. We went back to the Phillips' house for a backyard swim party complete with some incredible food thanks to our hosts! And the night wouldn't be true to Independence Day without some fireworks! We all enjoyed spending a couple of hours at the park before the fireworks. Ranger is a big fan of William's cousin Abby. Pretty sure it was the cutest toddler crush ever. The 4th was our 5 year wedding anniversary...and I have to say, even though we didn't get a date...we had a blast as a family! Ranger loved getting so much time with Daddy! We finished up the weekend celebrating Melissa's sister's birthday at Medieval Times! We decided the boys and Abby needed to be in character...so Abby got a princess dress and we custom made foam shields for the boys! Lots of fun was had...especially since our Green Knight won! I asked Ranger what his favorite part was...he said, "Horses!!...and Mommy, the horse pooped in the sand, and Mommy, the man scooped it, and Mommy, I really liked those horses." That's my boy.

We are looking forward to the rest of this year. We know God has some big changes in store for our family, but we are excited to take them on. As Ranger sings..."God is bigger than the boogie man..." it reminds me that God is bigger than anything I will ever face. And what's better? He's on my side. Awesome. Bring on the fall! Austin's graduation is less than 6 months away.

No comments:

Post a Comment