Saturday, January 4, 2014

Here's to a New Year in the World According to Ranger!

Well, the Davis holiday season is coming to a close. The relatives have been visited, loved on, and enjoyed. Work starts next week, so before we get back to the grind, we've ended out the season with some fun activities. While Austin is away on a mission trip, Granny Sue and I took Ranger to his second theater movie. His first was Disney's Brave...but he wasn't exactly mobile then...this time we took him to see Frozen...he's entirely too mobile now. He did fantastic until the popcorn ran out! And yes, he was that kid who yelled out, "Uh oh!"...when something bad happened to one of the characters and the entire theater erupted in snickers and quiet laughter. But I'll take standing through half the movie holding him and say that it was semi-successful. While down in Corpus, we visited the Texas State Aquarium with GgMa and Aunt Sharon. Ranger had a great time touching the sting rays, enjoying the dolphins, and asking every ten seconds to see the sharks. And when we got to the shark tank...bless his heart...I thought he might pass out from excitement. He ran straight to the glass right as the largest shark in the tank swam past him. He followed it all the way across the glass saying, "Dunna...dunna...dunna...dunna..RAWR!" Beautiful holidays, friends.

Ranger received some awesome Christmas gifts from our family this year, but by far...his favorite has to be his wagon from Papaw and Memaw Hipsher. The wagon goes everywhere with him...we had to bring it to Houston so he could enjoy it on the back porch. He puts his toys in it, Granny Sue's dog, even mommy has ridden in it. At the Hipsher Family Christmas Party, Ranger shared his wagon with his cousin, Rylin. He loved pulling her around and even rode in the wagon with her. Best part about the wagon...its light as can be! Perfect for a third floor apartment.

Ranger has become an expert at "I'm Fwowwy" as of late. He completely understands when he has done something wrong and knows exactly what sad puppy face to put on. He even goes as far as to say, "I'm Fwowwy, mommy, that's okay, baby, okay...ooooookay" all at once. Stinker. The handling tantrums has improved....he has, I haven't. I feel like every time I get close to understanding how to fix it...it changes. Challenge of being a parent, I guess. God definitely didn't intend for parents to ever be bored. I'm interested to see how his behavior changes once he's back home and in our routine again.

Ranger was playing out on my parent's back porch today. Their newly renovated porch includes an iron gate that leads to the drive way. Its fantastic! We kept it closed today with the back door open so he could play with his wagon. All of a sudden, I heard Rusty go ballistic in the back yard. Archie joined in not long after that and I rushed out to see Ranger at the iron gate smiling. A neighbor's big golden lab had gotten loose and come right up the driveway to the gate. My mom had been out there with Ranger and said that he ran up to the gate and reached through to pet the dog who joyfully licked him. Apparently Rusty didn't like that and let the lab know it, but barking and growling his head off. I have never seen Rusty be so protective of Ranger before, but I don't mind it one bit in this case. All throughout our holiday travels, Rusty has wanted to sleep next to Ranger's bed too. I'm hoping they will bond a lot more over the next few years too. Ranger is finally understanding that Rusty is his pal and he really enjoys having him around. "Zusty!" is usually the first word out of his mouth in the morning because Rusty comes in to greet him, tail wagging.

Its a new year and we are very much looking forward to the major changes God has in store this year. Austin will be graduating in the fall and we will probably be moving when he finds a job. I can't imagine leaving our friends and our church. I've made some beautiful friendships here and I don't look forward to being far away from friends again. But I know that God has a plan! So here's to a fantastic new year and many chances to glorify our Savior!

No comments:

Post a Comment