Another milestone has been reached. I signed Ranger's first minor incident report last Friday. For those of you unfamiliar with these reports, let me explain. Society has gotten so liability crazy, that for every scrape, bruise, or bump a child receives while in the care of a licensed facility...a minor incident report must be written. These reports include the crime, the punishment, the care, and a signature from mom or dad to signify that you aren't going to hold the establishment liable for your child's clumsiness. Anyways...I knew this day would come. I'm surprised it didn't come sooner to be honest. Our child should be on the reality show Wipeout. But it wasn't clumsiness in this case! Ranger actually has this thing about taking toys from other kids...you know...the basis of a 2 year old's life. So he tried to take a toy from a friend in the nursery...and the friend bit him on the thumb. Don't worry, the thumb is still there and there is no need for rabies testing. He will be fine. But hopefully he learned a valuable lesson.
There is nothing cooler than hearing my two year old sing his own version of old gospel songs. His current favorite is Swing Low, Sweet Chariot! And pretty much any song that has the word, "Hallelujah!" in it. I sure hope God blessed him with a good singing voice...because this kid was born to sing. It has been so incredible to watch him progress with music! Surely he will have rhythm like his daddy! Because mommy has none whatsoever. At this rate, we're skipping American Idol and going straight to The Voice...by age 5. Ah, the dreams of a young mother.
Tonight, Ranger spent a good 20 minutes playing in the bath tub. I dried him off and had him sit on the sink counter to brush his teeth. I turned away to get the toothbrush and turned back to find him wide-eyed and staring at his hands...palms up. He said, "Mommy, what's this?" He pointed to the shriveled skin on his fingertips. So I explained to him what happens to our fingertips when we stay in the water for a long time. Then I compared them to raisins. I'm telling you right now, I saw the light bulb turn on above his head. He said, "Yeah Mommy! Like raisins! Ranger's fingers are like raisins!"
Ranger has been pretty spoiled over the past week. MLK and a snow day allowed both Austin and I to spend a lot of time with him. We built block castles, visited the Austin zoo, explored the trails behind our apartment complex, and read plenty of books. The zoo was a huge success because of its small size and close encounters with some pretty amazing animals. Ranger touched his first snake and gobble-talked to a turkey! He loved being allowed to walk freely through the zoo with his watchful parents not far behind. Ranger also got a visit from Uncle Richard and Aunt Tara! They were nice enough to hang out with him so mommy and daddy could catch a movie. Needless to say...he was stoked. He absolutely adores them and had a great time with them. I'm thankful for close friends who will step in to encourage us and support us in our parenthood. We have him call some of our friends Uncle and Aunt to help him understand that they are important to us and we consider them family. Of course, he has two fantastic uncles and two fantastic aunts, but he has a whole bunch of "uncles" and "aunts" that love him just as much!
Potty training? What potty training? I'm proud to announce that Ranger officially used the big potty completely on his own. I mean, pulled down his pants, climbed up his step stool, scooted back on the potty, did his business, scooted off the potty, step down the step stool...and did the official potty dance. FINALLY! Whew, other than a few accidents every so often...our kid is fully potty trained. Thank. The. Lord.
Can I just say...I LOVE BEING RANGER'S MOM! It is by far the most rewarding job I have ever had. I absolutely love that God called me to be a wife and a mother. What a privilege. What a task. What fun!
Let me leave you with a new Ranger quote...
"No no. Not you, mommy! Ranger do it." My life for the past two weeks. Enough said.
No comments:
Post a Comment