Ranger and I took our first look at the Austin Aquarium this morning. Ranger saw all kinds of fish, sea horses, sea dragons, jellyfish, snakes, frogs, a tortoise, and an alligator! He even got to pet a huge iguana! But I think his favorite part, by far...was the shark tank. I knew it would be...since every exhibit we approached, he asked if there was a shark in it. As we approached the actual shark tank, the aquarium worker bent down and asked Ranger if he would like to pet the shark! Of course, Ranger, being the shark-obsessed child that he is, screamed, "YEAH!" and ran to the tank. I really need to be faster...because he made it there in record speed, reached over the side and dipped both arms down into the water reaching for the shark who so swiftly swam as fast as it could in the other direction. Thankfully, he did not fall into the shark tank...just took a half-bath in it. He then decided to taste his soaked hands....Mommy just about puked while carrying him to the nearby sink. But, it was a fun trip all in all! And we have a family membership pass, so I'm sure Ranger will try to swim with the sharks again soon!
Ranger has become a fantastic helper in the kitchen. He loves climbing up onto the stepstool and helping prepare the food. He has also learned he can open the utensil drawer and just reach his specific forks and spoons....he hasn't seen the knives right next to them yet. Those need a new home. Today he helped me mix dough for Christmas cookies! He loves stirring the dough, but thought my spoon was insufficient...so he climbed down, ran over to the utensil drawer, grabbed one of his spoons...next thing I know, he's got a spoonful of dough in his mouth. He went down for his nap saying, "Mommy, Ranger make more cookies?"
Christmas this year has probably been the best so far of my life. Ranger understands so much now and is constantly asking and learning. He's been able to comprehend who Baby Jesus is and Mary and Joseph. He loves Christmas trees and Christmas music! Everything about the season, he has absolutely embraced. He's very close to being able to sit through the entire Christmas story too! I cannot wait until he realizes who Jesus really is and just how incredible a gift was given to us! I'm very excited to share with you his Christmas morning story this year. We'll see how it goes!
Ranger and I were at HEB today, checking out before heading home. A lady on the aisle next to us was trying to calm a hysterical toddler. He was screaming bloody murder for who knows what reason...but the entire front end of the store was looking her way. I mean, this child was flailing and pulling things off shelves. Ranger just stared at him then looked at me...tugged on my shirt and said, "Mommy, baby cry!"..."Mommy, baby cry!"...like he wanted me to fix it. Right then and there, I thanked heaven for my child's temperament....no matter how much I may complain about it. It was a humbling reminder that when we think we have it bad, there are always other people out there hurting too. My prayers go out to that woman in HEB...
We have a lot of traveling to do in the near future with the holidays coming up. Keep us in your prayers. Ranger is a fantastic traveling companion even with the multiple potty breaks. He loves singing, pointing to things outside the window, and playing with Ipad on road trips. I hope everyone has a very Merry Christmas...or as Ranger would say, "Mewee Kissmas!"
No comments:
Post a Comment