According to Merriam-Webster, the number one definition of the word "meltdown" is: the accidental melting of the core of a nuclear reactor. Skim on down to the third definition and you will find a picture of my son rolling on the floor with tears streaming from his eyes, yowling at the top of his lungs. Terrible twos or ear infection? Hopefully we'll find out tomorrow if we can get him into the doctor. These meltdowns have been happening for the past two days and they usually follow the game of "Lets ask mommy for something 100 times...surely she'll give it to me." As much as I love Ranger's new vocabulary...I am seeing more toddler boy and less sweet baby boy. I mean, don't get me wrong..."Green! Go Mommy go!" from the backseat is adorable. But when I've been asked for the Ipad or outside fifty times in a row followed by a tantrum, it can be frustrating. However, we have not conceded to just giving in to whatever our feisty child wants. We have successfully distracted him at times or just plain ignored the tantrums and they usually give way after a few minutes. But tonight, oh tonight. It took Mommy and Daddy singing at least five songs together (Ranger likes a duet performance) to get little one to sleep. My real hope is that this is the beginning of the terrible twos...because ear infections are not fun and I'd rather be in pain dealing with tantrums than have Ranger in physical pain.
Speaking of songs. I bet I know my ABCs better than you. It is Ranger's favorite song at the moment. But he is also a big fan of "Yayzus!" For those of you wondering what childhood song you missed out on..."Yayzus" translated would be "Jesus Loves Me." I am almost positive that Jesus smiled the first time He heard His name voiced by Ranger. Such a sweet innocence from such a young creation. Ranger's favorite book wavers between "Llama Llama and the Bully Goat" and "There was a Coyote Who Swallowed a Flea." The latter is far too catchy for its own good and both Austin and I have it completely memorized. It came in handy on the airplane when we were stuck taxiing to our gate with a restless toddler. I'm sure the people around us appreciated it as well. But who doesn't love hearing a toddler howl like a coyote...over and over?
It has been a tough two weeks back at work. Ranger adjusted quickly to his sitter again, but Mommy just can't seem to adjust as well. Nearly three months of being a stay-at-home mom completely spoiled me. I am so incredibly grateful to have a husband who was excited to give me that chance and two fabulous parents who jumped at the chance to spend the summer with the three of us. My parents went above and beyond the calling of grandparents. They loved on us almost as much as they loved on Ranger. He adores his "Sue Sue" (Granny Sue) and "Brumpy" (Grumpy). So much so that the first morning he woke up back in our apartment in Austin, he jumped out of bed, ran straight to the front door and burst into tears. By the time I made it to him, he was calling for Granny Sue and Grumpy. But not to worry, Granny Sue saw this coming...in fact, early this summer, she quickly volunteered to babysit every couple of Saturdays so Austin and I can attend some UT football games! Needless to say, I love my parents and I am incredibly grateful that they show so much love to me, my husband, and our son. Over the summer, Ranger got to visit GgMa in Corpus Christi, Grammy and Pappy in Brownwood, Papaw and Mema in Santa Anna, and Grandpa and Babushka (Russian for Grandmother) in Washington! Let me tell you...that many grandparents might seem like a nightmare to some people...it is a complete blessing to us. God knew that we would need family support and he has graciously provided.
Speaking of inlaws, I love mine. They are fantastic. I have never seen two families (Davis and Parrish/Hipsher) completely accept and love on they're daughter-and-son-in-laws like they had raised them in the family all along. Blessed. Its the best word to describe it. I am so excited to raise Ranger up to know and respect these sweet people.
A lot of people have asked us when we plan on giving Ranger a brother or sister. I'm ready to be the precious incubator again...but I'm not quite sure its God's timing right now. So to answer the question, you will have to wait as long as we do. As for the adoption itch I've been suffering from...well, that will have to wait too. But, we really do feel God is calling us in that direction and we are extremely excited!
But you came to read about the world according to Ranger...at this point in time, I'd say he is obsessed with puzzles, reading, and outdoor activities. He chooses (from our already selected educational apps, for those of you who were worried) and plays his own games on the Ipad. He still chooses to watch M*A*S*H over any other show. He loves to hold Rusty's retractable leash and thinks its hilarious to let it go. Sometimes he walks around the apartment saying, "Grump grump grump" over and over thanks to Grumpy. He recited the entire alphabet to me all by himself yesterday and he has started recognizing and reciting numbers. He asks constantly for the vacuum. His favorite shape to have me hold his hand and draw is a circle. He calls everything any adult is drinking "tea" and then begs for some. His favorite shoes are his Yoda slippers and if you ask him what his name is, he will tell you its "Shark." So there you have it...the world according to Ranger at almost 22 months old.
No comments:
Post a Comment