Monday, May 27, 2013

Life of the (temporary) single mom...

Yes, that is a definite "temporary" single mom title. While Austin is busy in Houston with his internship, Ranger and I are finishing out the school year here at home. Should I probably not post that for safety reasons...yes, but my God is faithful and I have a deadbolt and a shotgun. Life as a single mom has been interesting to say the least. Being an awful cook, a working mom, and living on the third floor has its challenges, but Ranger and I are doing just fine. Besides, Austin came home this weekend and we had a fantastic time together. We met daddy at Chili's on Friday night and Ranger was ecstatic to see him. I thought he would never let go. I absolutely love that he reacts that way to Austin. Daddy is very much his hero and probably his most favorite playmate, jumping mat, and story chair ever. I have the privilege of watching this incredible bond form and strengthen every day...except for this week. Its me and the little man. The thought of attempting this alone frightened me beyond anything when we first found out about Austin's internship. I know, I know...its only two weeks with the kid...you've done months without even being able to speak to your submerged husband. Well, life is different now. Austin and I have really come to rely on each other for parenting. We are such an effective team sometimes its scary...but such an absolute blessing. No worries though...Ranger and I are having a blast together. We work puzzles, read books, play golf, and dance to the M*A*S*H theme song with gusto. We are both looking forward to spending the summer at the pool with Granny Sue! Otherwise known as Ggra SSSue!

Words...Ranger is intent on trying out every word we give him. I'm absolutely amazed at his vocabulary at this point in time. It won't belong before he's spouting out sentences. What an incredible gift...a voice, the ability to speak, a brain to make sense of things. Isn't God miraculous? I find it would take more faith to believe these things just evolved from a big bang than to believe in a beautiful Maker who carefully crafted this handiwork. During Ranger's 18 month check-up, he kept handing the doctor a toy car while saying, "Car!" He then showed off his animal sound skills by giving her a taste of the Ranger Sound Zoo complete with dolphins, elephants, lions, every farm animal you can think of, monkeys, and much more. Impressed, yes...and a little awestruck she was. Must be that 95th percentile head he's got. Boy is this going to be fun when he's three or four. :)

Ranger is growing like a weed. I give it a few weeks before he can figure out the doorknobs. Its kind of like the raptors in Jurassic Park when they learned to open doors...except no razor claws. He's running, stretching, climbing, and attempting hopping. He's a bundle full of energy and I wouldn't have it any other way.

I hope you all have a fantastic week! I for one am hoping for a good one. My heart wants to leap ahead to the end of school, but there is much to be done and much to be taken slowly and seriously. May God bless you throughout the week in ways you never could imagine.

No comments:

Post a Comment