New blog. I've been meaning to blog again lately and its just been a struggle to find the time. I promise to keep this one up, for those of you who don't mind spending a few minutes every so often to catch up on the world according to Ranger.
Ranger. My goodness. For starters, the kid is growing like a weed. After digging through his drawers this past weekend, we discovered he fits much better in 18-24 month clothes...so mommy went bargain shopping. Did you know that the 2T size hat barely fits on my son's head? But its not just the clothing issue...Ranger very much enjoys the game of running through mommy's legs. Unfortunately, mommy now has to tip-toe in order for him to successfully make it. The dog grunts a lot louder now when Ranger sits on him. We have started to move items to higher places, otherwise they disappear. The fabric on the backseat in the car is very dirty because somebody's feet "thump thump thump" constantly against it. I feel like tomorrow I will wake up and he'll be sporting facial hair like his daddy.
People told us the terrible twos are just around the corner...obviously they have not visited my house as of late. Ranger can throw quite the tantrum. They usually involve the disgruntled face which morphs into the disfigured face...followed by a loud "ARRG"...and usually some part of mommy gets a quick smack by the outstretched hand of the toddler. Not to worry, mommy and daddy had it all planned out on how to handle the discipline. But come to find out that the discipline has morphed almost as fast as the baby's face does during tantrum time. We have ignored, scolded, swatted...all to the enjoyment of Ranger. We are now in the time-out phase which is quickly turning into the "Sweet-Talk Mommy Out of Time-Out" phase. For example: Ranger throws his carefully prepared meal of hot dog and goldfish on the floor. Mommy calmly, but firmly takes him out of the high chair and sets him in his time-out spot. She tells him what he did wrong and that it is not okay. He spreads out his legs, lifts up his shirt and pokes at his belly button all while smiling and sweetly calling "Momma!". He stands up and reaches for his mother in hopes of a quick way out....but she stands firm and insists he sit back down. After several more "Mommas" and several attempts at blowing kisses...he stands up yet again. One more "Sit down!" from mom and he knows she means business. With a disgruntled hmppf...he waits semi-patiently until she calls him to her. Finally! Forgiveness! Many hugs and kisses follow and he toddles off in search of his next victim. Wouldn't trade it for the world.
During conversations that involve the subject of Ranger, I find that most people think negatively of his age. I hear the "terrible twos" and the "oh just you wait" and the "you haven't seen anything yet" constantly. Is it hard?...Incredibly. Is it frustrating?...Every day. Is it worth it?...I wouldn't have it any other way. I am so in love with being a mom to this kid. I absolutely love the challenges he brings to our lives. I am constantly reminded of how awesome God is when I hear Ranger laugh. I can almost picture my Savior looking down on us and smiling every time this child bursts into laughter. He created him. He enjoys his creation. And he wants us as parents to enjoy it too....even when times are tough. What a beautiful disaster my little tornado is. The challenges he brings are full-fledged storms filled with thunderous tantrums and rainstorms of forgiveness. What a blessing to teach him about forgiveness. So when those toddler conversations turn negative, I find myself responding with a love for this age and an excitement for Ranger's future. I am excited for future siblings for him whether from Austin and I or from a sweet chance at adoption. In a world full of pain, suffering, and chaos, I long to raise my kids to understand forgiveness, grace, and second chances.
So here's to a new blog. And here's hoping I will be informing you of the ages and stages of Ranger's constant learning and countless adventures.
No comments:
Post a Comment