Tuesday, April 23, 2013

An English Proverb says, "The soul is healed by being with children."

I would most certainly have to agree with that after this past week. So much pain and sorrow in our nation. I had the tv tuned in last Friday morning to stick with the pursuit of the suspected marathon bomber. I was so wrapped up in the story and getting ready for my meeting at work...God decided to utilize his sweet creation to tug on my pant leg and hand me Finding Nemo. Apparently, Ranger is not the biggest fan of the NBC anchors. Ranger wasn't enjoying it, and God knew I needed to shift focus. So sweet and so simple...the way a child can change your entire outlook. Every time I make eye contact with Ranger, I feel as if I get a glimpse of God's enormous plan. It serves as a constant reminder that God is in complete control no matter the situation. So take heart dear friends..."Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance." James 1:2-3

Ranger has become a spectacular helper...for example: He pulls the clean dishes out of the dishwasher and ever so carefully places them on the dirty kitchen floor. He helps fold laundry by pulling the folded laundry off the couch and "re-folds" them on the floor. He cleans up his toys off the living room floor and stores them in the kitchen trash. Most recently, I taught Ranger how to take fresh clean socks from the laundry, put them in his Easter basket and carry them to his drawer. He even knows how to open the drawer and put them in the sock box. Fantastic! We had just finished putting away all of the laundry so I started on the next task....now noticing that Ranger had been missing for about 2 minutes. Right as I started to call him, I hear the "thump thump thump" of little feet running down the hall. With a proud smile that could melt your heart, he hands me his Easter basket full to the brim of all his socks. Eyes shining, he anxiously awaited my praises...my son...the irresistible child genius.

Tonight, I laid Ranger down in his crib. We prayed...which he followed up with a huge, "Mamen!" I once again, covered him with his blanket and told him that I loved him. He decided to say it back by blowing me two kisses. For those of you who've yet to have children or haven't spent much time around them...let me put this in perspective for you. Those two kisses were like getting handed that degree you've spent countless hours and thousands of dollars pouring into...it was like crossing a finish line in a long, grueling race....like receiving the highest medal honor any soldier can receive...And you know what makes it even better?...There is life beyond those two sweet kisses that acknowledged that he loves me too. So much life. And I am so greatly honored and blessed to enjoy it with him for the time being.

Until next time. I hope you encounter a child this week. And I hope you acknowledge that intelligent genius stuck inside a smaller body for the moment. Love on them...even if its just a smile. You could make all the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment